We have a regular schedule of faith groups who are responsible for most evening meals each month, which takes care of many of our food needs. Some items (breakfast cereal, coffee, sugar, margarine, snack foods, etc.) are much appreciated. If you would like to make a food donation or would like to volunteer to make a meal, please call 515-232-8075.
Please note, we cannot accept donations of food that are expired or beyond their Sell By, Best By, Use By, or any other utilization date.
Due to our limited amount of space, we are unable to accept most clothing donations. If you have clothing items to donate, please contact us (515-232-8075) before bringing in clothing donations to ensure we have a need for particular clothing items. We would also encourage you to contact one of our partner agencies that could also use these items.
At this time, we are unable to accept coats due to space limitations. If you have coats to donate, please check with the Bethesda Lutheran clothing closet or the Harmony Clothing Closet.
Our toiletries space is currently very limited. At this time, we are unable to accept donation of toilet paper in order to accomodate our other toiletry needs.
Donations of Supplies
For our shelter, we could always use the following items:
- Bus tickets-either Cy-Ride or HIRTA tickets
- Dryer sheets
- Full size bottles of lotion
- Full size bottles of shampoo and conditioner
- Grocery gift cards to help keep our grocery costs down
- Laundry soap
- Paper Towels
- Toilet Paper
- Rubber/plastic gloves
For our housing programs, these items are very helpful:
- Can openers
- Garbage cans-both small and 13-gallon size
- Gift cards to places like Wal-Mart, Target, Dollar Tree to help families get necessary items
To assist in keeping people out of shelter, the following items are helpful:
- Funds so we can purchase bus tickets on Jefferson Lines or Greyhound for people that have supports in another community
- Gas station cards-for people that are stranded here and trying to get to another location
- Grocery gift cards-to help ease the burden on households that are letting someone stay on their couch
** Due to limited space at the shelter, we are unable to accept clothing, bedding, and furniture items. We also are at capacity with canned food items and are unable to accept any more at this time.