Below is a partial list of possible sources of assistance during a crisis.
CRISIS LINE ……………………………………………………………………………………844-258-8858.
- Mid-Iowa Community Action (MICA) 956-3333 has a food pantry and can provide a list of other food pantries & resources in Story County. 230 SE 16th St.
- Iowa Department of Human Services (DHS) office 292-2035 Individuals and families can apply for food stamps. 126 S Kellogg #101
- Bethesda Lutheran Church has a food pantry 232-6256 Mon & Wed 9-11 AM, Tues & Thur 1-3 PM, & Tues 6:30-8 PM. 1517 Northwestern
- Food at First serves a meal every day of the week at First Christian Church (232-5766). Sun-Fri at 5:45 – 6:15 PM. Lunch on Sat. at 11:30 AM 611 Clark Ave, Ames
- Calvary United Methodist Church has a food shelf (call for times) 232-6329. 24th and Hoover
- Story County Community Services may issue store vouchers for groceries. 663-2930 Income and other guidelines must be met. 126 South Kellogg, Suite 001
- Seventh Day Adventist Food Pantry 232-0472 Appointments only. 13th and Grand
- Good Neighbor Emergency Assistance food vouchers. 296-1449 Call Mon-Fri 9-12 AM for an appointment. 613 Clark
- Salvation Army has a food pantry. 233-3567 Call for hours. 703 East Lincoln Way
- Free Market (mainly produce) is available Mon & Thurs 4:45 pm & Sat 10 AM. 611 Clark Ave, Ames
- Bethesda Lutheran Church 232-6256 Mon &Wed 9:30-11 AM, & Tues 6:30-8 PM. 1517 Northwestern
- Harmony Clothing Closet 382-6509 Mon 4:30-7 PM, Sat 8-12 AM. 122 6th Street, Nevada
- Goodwill Store 292-8454 Low priced clothing. 3718 Lincoln Way
- Clothing that Works 292-2156 Work Clothes; Wed. 2-6; 130 South Sheldon, #308
- Over Flow Store290-0732, second hand clothes at low price. Wed & Sat 10a-4p, Thur 10a – 8p, Fri 10a – 6p, 202 S Duff Ave
- Salvation Army Thrift Store 620 Lincoln Way, Ames – Next to Hobby Lobby
RENT, UTILITIES, and HOME HEATING
NOTE: Most of the agencies listed below require a decision form from St. Co. Comm Serv for rent and MICA for utility assistance. Please go to these agencies first.
- Story County Community Services 663-2930 may help with current month’s rent or utilities. Call for eligibility rules (not eligible: FIP, Soc. Sec. or SSI recipients and students). 126 S. Kellogg, Suite #001
- Good Neighbor Emergency Assistance 296-1449 Call first for an appointment. Mon thru Fri 9-12 AM. 613 Clark, Ames
- Emergency Residence Project 232-8075 Walk-in applications taken Mon & Thurs 9-3:30. 225 S. Kellogg, Ames
- Christ Community Church 232-2765 (for Ames & Gilbert residents only). Walk-in applications taken Wed.1-3 A.M. 5501 GW Carver, Ames
- St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Church 292-3810 Call 8 AM sharp on Thursdays for an appointment. Call back a short time later if line is busy. Available slots may fill quickly. 2210 Lincoln Way, Ames
- St. Patrick’s Catholic Church 382-2974 For Nevada & other Eastern (East of I-35 highway) Story County residents. (Ames is excluded). 1110 11th St. Nevada only, Call for appointment
- Mid-Iowa Community Action (MICA) 956-3333 may have funding resources to help with some utilities including home heating. MICA also has a home winterization program. 230 SE 16th Street
- Salvation Army 233-3567 call for appointment. 703 E. Lincoln Way
- City of Ames 239-5380 Assist eligible low-income households one time with fuel vouchers, OR CyRide passes, OR HIRTA Bucks. Applications may be picked up at the Planning & Housing Department, 515 Clark Avenue, Room 214, Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Story County Community Services 663-2930 office may pay for bus fare within Iowa for those who meet their guidelines. 126 South Kellogg , Suite #001
- HIRTA 1-877-686-0029 reduced cost bus service throughout Story County, Boone & Iowa City. Need 24 hour notice.
- Good Neighbor 296-1449 Gasoline voucher may be given in certain situations. Call for more information. 613 Clark
- Youth & Shelter Services (YSS) 233-3141 24-hour help line:1-800-600-2330. Shelter and assistance for young adults and runaways.
- Assault Care Center Extending Shelter and Support (ACCESS) 292-0500 Battered and sexually assaulted women’s shelter – Sexual Assault 292-5378 or 1-800-203-3488; Domestic Abuse 1-855-983-4641; Domestic Violence 292-0519
- Emergency Residence Project 232- 8075 Emergency Shelter for homeless adults and families. 225 South Kellogg
MEDICAL & DENTAL
- First Nurse 239-6877 call for advice resources and referrals.
- Story County Community Dental Clinic 956-4595 Mon-Thur Call for hours. Medicate /Sliding Scale. 226 SE 16th St. next to MICA
- Iowa Dept. of Human Services 292-2035 Low income individuals may apply for Medicaid health insurance. 126 S Kellogg #101
- Story County Community Services 382-7295 may pay for some medical expenses. You must apply before or immediately after treatment. 126 South Kellogg, Suite #001
- Hawk-I (The Healthy and Well Kids in Iowa) 1-800-257-8563 provides treatment for uninsured youth. Call M-F, 8 AM-7 PM
- Mary Greeley Medical Center 239-2011 Emergency Room for crisis care. l1th and Duff
- Homeward 239-6730 may be able to provide immunizations and screening. Call for times and locations.
- Primary Health Care 232-0628 Family Practice, Dental, and help with establishing insurance. Mon-Fri 8 AM-5 PM. 3510 Lincoln Way
- Salvation Army 233-3567 call for appointment. May assist with some medical/prescription expenses. 703 E. Lincoln Way
- Eyerly Ball 290-3642 sliding fee scale for community based behavioral healthcare services, 24 hours for crisis line. 2521 University Blvd, Suite #121
- Mary Greeley Medical Center 239-2011 may provide some emergency mental health services. 11th. and Duff,
- Community and Family Resouces 232-5811 or (515) 232-3206 provides comprehensive substance & gambling abuse, prevention, and mental health services 1619 S. High Ave.
- Optimae Life Services 956-2600 mental health services, 104 S. Hazel Ave., Ames
- Story County Legal Aid 382-2471 for low-income individuals. Welfare appeals, tenant/landlord problems, divorce, unemployment appeals, etc. 937 6th Street, Nevada.
- Legal Services Corp. of Iowa 1-800-532-1503 serves low-income dealing with evictions, welfare, etc.
- Center for Creative Justice CCJ: 292-3820 Out of court settlement, mediation.
ADDITIONAL SOURCES FOR THE LISTED AND OTHER NEEDS
- MICA (Mid-Iowa Community Action) 956-3333 publishes a more complete list of resources including other food pantries in Story County, food and nutrition programs, subsidized housing, employment services, etc. Located at 230 S.E. 16th
- 2-1-1 INFORMATION & REFERRAL SERVICE FOR IOWA Information regarding many needs and services. DIAL 211
- VETERANS AFFAIRS 956-2626 may help veterans with rent, transportation, or medical. 126 South Kellogg, #001
- CHURCHES – Several Ames and area churches may have funds to assist with some emergency needs. It may be necessary to call many to find ones with available funds.